The Apache Haus Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Apache Haus Distribution Forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 20 years of Apache on Windows  (Read 127 times)

Gregg

• Administrator
  • Member Elite
20 years of Apache on Windows
« on: June 20, 2018, 06:00:40 PM »

It was 20 years ago today that I picked up my first copy of Apache for Windows. Apache 1.3.0 was the first version to run on Windows and was released on June 6, 1998.

mario

• Administrator
  • Member Elite
Re: 20 years of Apache on Windows
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 10:00:31 AM »

I can't say which version number it was for me. But I know it had only one digit after the three. Maybe 1.3.6 or 1.3.9.

IIRC 1.3.17 was the first one with an msi installer. One with the sources and one jsut the binaries. I wanted a portable version or at least a zip file. I was never able to open the msi files to extract the files. After some time I figured out how the change the path in the config that I was able to run it with from a USB strick any drive letter on any computer.
The msi was one of the reasons I found frist XAMPP which was too bloated and then Apache Lounge.

I confess that I still miss the VC6, it ran on every windows computer without installing anything. Plug the USB stick or copy the files and one of my friends had a running apache on their computer for the next LAN party. Safer than open the windows share.

Gregg

• Administrator
  • Member Elite
Re: 20 years of Apache on Windows
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 08:08:49 PM »

IIRC 1.3.9 was the first really good version.

Quote from: mario
I confess that I still miss the VC6, it ran on every windows computer without installing anything. Plug the USB stick or copy the files and one of my friends had a running apache on their computer for the next LAN party. Safer than open the windows share.

I remember showing you why I liked it so much that day during your first visit ... it's utter speed.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13