ModAutorotate

Started by kmradke, January 28, 2013, 07:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmradke

Anyone try http://www.poptart.org/bin/view/Poptart/ModAutorotate ?

It looks to have a hardocoded unix path to gzip.  Haven't tried compiling it yet.

cronolog has served me well but those piped processes can add up.  I'm not using mod_log_rotate because I need to rotate all logs...

Gregg

Yes, I tried compiling mod_autorotate early last year. It was a mess to clean up but there was something in it that I got stuck on and couldn't get any further. I too liked the sound of it and it handled the error log as well (unlike mod_log_rotate). I may try compiling it again in the future.

Gregg

But, I think I'll give it another go. Stay tuned.

kmradke

Yeah, a lot of clean up of the code is needed.  It is also using Unix specific commands to restart apache (using signals).  Not sure if the httpd libs have any nice way to trigger that.

Gregg

mpm_winnt has a way of signaling the parent process, so going to give it a try. I have it compiled and loaded on 2.4 here on this laptop. Module is set for Hourly and I'm waiting for the hour-offset to pass and see what happens. Then on to test compression, it too uses a very unixy setpriority which I've just bypassed for now.

Looks like we need a way to deal with / vs. \
[Mon Jan 28 14:28:10.662800 2013] [:error] [pid 4088:tid 660] (OS 123)The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.  : mod_autorotate: renaming C:/Apache24/logs/script-error.log to C:/Apache24/logs/script-error.log.20130128-13:00:00

It looks as if it properly signaled a restart however  :)

kmradke

Good news!

BTW, there is an ENABLE_PERMINUTE define that looks to support rotation faster than 1 hr... :)

kmradke

Any more luck with this?  I wasn't even able to get the process to signal a restart, so you got a lot farther than me.  I could live without the priority and compression stuff.

Gregg

No luck so far, had to put it down for other things. I may pick it up again when I'm looking for a challenge, it's on my list.