Apache 2.3.12-beta Released

Started by Gregg, June 02, 2011, 04:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DnvrSysEngr

I am running PHP 5.4.0 Alpha2 on Windows7.  Have not tried PHP on an XP machine.

Sob

You're right, on XP it does that. But it's not php to blame, but rather wrong configuration of mod_fcgid, specifically path separators in enviromental variables. We're on Windows and they use backslashes. Apache and php don't care and it seems even Windows sometimes take forward slashes, but not always. Windows XP and SxS trying to run php-cgi.exe do care.

This helped here:FcgidInitialEnv SystemRoot "C:\\Windows"

Gregg

OK, I will try that. If it's not a PHP issue then it is a VC9 issue. I am running 5.2.17 just fine on XP and Vista, I do not have a Win7 box. I was running 5.3.5 but it was a VC6 build, that ended at that version.

DnvrSysEngr

I got mod_fcgid configured, but no luck getting PHP 5.3 or 5.4 to work with Apache 2.3.12. 

Reverted back to Apache 2.2.19 and PHP 5.3 and 5.4 work just fine without having to use mod_fcgid.

Sob

It is related to VC9, because unlike VC6 it loads CRT dlls using manifests and clearly that mechanism is more picky on XP than on Win7. But I wouldn't say it's bug, the fact is that the proper path separator is still backslash.

Sob

Quote from: DnvrSysEngr on July 03, 2011, 10:50:26 PM
I got mod_fcgid configured, but no luck getting PHP 5.3 or 5.4 to work with Apache 2.3.12.

Any interesting error messages or something?

DnvrSysEngr

SOB:

As PHP 5.3.x and 5.4Alpha appears to be only available for Apache 2.2.x, the only module I can use is php5apache2_2.dll when trying to get PHP to work with Apache 2.3.12.  When I try to to load it as a module, it says that it cant be found.

Sob

It seems to be a small misunderstanding here, or at least it seems like it to me.

You can run PHP under Apache as:

a) internal module, using php2apache2_2.dll, but you can't currently do it with Apache 2.3, because the module is only for 2.2

b) as fast cgi under mod_fcgid, which means that php will run as separate php-cgi.exe processes (spawned by Apache)

So if you correctly configure php to run under mod_fcgid, you don't need the php2apache2_2.dll module any more.

Gregg

Well, I tried the \\ and it made no difference on Vista, I'm assuming it will make none on XP either. I think it's deeper and I still think it is a PHP thing in 5.3 and how it interacts with different computers.

Devsys .. php5apache2_4 will be out soon in 5.4 it will be built for the 2.3/2.4 Apache's. That should solve lots of problems. I've never liked mod_fcgid, just it's needed to get any php in this new Apache.

php 5.2 is all I need so I can wait. I've never been one to care about being on the bleeding edge, it's always more a headache than hanging onto older but stable versions as long as one can. I stuck with Apache 1.3 up to 1.3.37 skipping the entire Apache 2.0 version.

Apache 2.3 is my first break from that thinking.

Sob

Didn't it work with forward slashes on Vista? I have access to Win 2008 and it didn't complain there. And those should be basically the same systems.

Changing to backslashes should make difference only where it didn't work previously. For me it was only XP. Even Win 2003 was happy with forward slashes.

Gregg

The laptop is Vista, it's where the stuff I posted from the error log was from. The XP box was where the dll loading dialog. I've never had luck with php vc9. I can get the vc6 php to work via fcgid but never have been successful with vc9 builds of it .. ever .. just one more reason I hate it stacked on the others  ;D

Sob

Backslashes should fix dll loading problem on XP.

Errors from laptop are something else. As I said, I had lots of those too. It took some time watching php with Process Monitor, before I was able to fix it. But I don't remember what was the cause. It might have been some specific extension, but I'm not really sure. I was fully occupied by fighting the strong urge to throw whole computer out of the window, so I couldn't make notes. ;)

Gregg

kind of a useless piece of crap if I cannot use the gd2 extension ... or any for that matter.
really .. php 5.3 was rushed .. and 5.4 I am sure is going to be same .. like Firefox the devs are going insane .. trying to pack in too much to quickly. not making sure things are stable before moving onto the next new thing. I love it .. it will create the end of it eventually.

Gregg

OK .. XP is doing good, can even load the few needed extensions. Vista on the other hand, works so long as no extensions are loaded. It doesn't matter cause I do not use vista other than building Apache on it and quick testing. 

Gregg

spoke too soon. it's same. no extensions all is fine .. load any one and it goes to hell in a hand basket. So I guess I'll just stick with 5.2 till there is a module to load in 2.3/2.4. I never liked running php through fcgid anyway. Never have had a problem with mod_php bringing down Apache and using the module is 5 times faster to respond than via fcgid.