Apache SNI

Started by mario, May 25, 2011, 04:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mario

Does anyone use it for real? Not just testing. What are your experience?

Sob

I don't think anyone uses it for real, except maybe in some non-public scenarios where they can safely ignore incompatible browsers. The main problem is WinXP + any IE version = no SNI. That's a lot of users and it's not going to change very soon.

Gregg

No it's not, until sometime in 2014. But if someone is using IE on WinXP, they have other problems. Unfortunately the Firefox Devs have gone insane, the last truly stable version was 3.5.8, and come June 21, 3.5.x users are all going to get pushed to 3.6.whatever-problematic-version-is-current. Also on that date, FF5, and by xmas, 7. I'm done with Firefox, they keep pushing ahead without fixing the main problems in the prior versions which end up in the new ones. I figure FF7 is going to need 8gigs of ram.  FF has become a pig.

Seamonkey is where I am headed. It's SNI capable being based off FF 3.0

Sob

A little OT here, but I'd say you're just unlucky with FF. I also don't like that devs went crazy with numbering. But about stability, I can't complain, I'm very happy with latest 4.0.1. Sure, it still has some problems that weren't fixed since 0.x days, like unfinished multi-threading that still allows something demanding in one tab to freeze the whole browser. I guess it's easier to add new icons and animations than fixing things like this. But it's getting better (slowly).
About alternatives, I didn't find anything right for me. I was absolutely thrilled when I discovered K-Meleon few years ago. At the first sight it was browser of my dreams, simple, lightweight, fast, ... Unfortunately I quickly realized that being mostly one man show doesn't work very well for such big project.