Somewhere over the rainbow is 2.3.11

Started by Gregg, February 09, 2011, 10:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg

Well, JJ just can't help but break, fix and break the proxy_balancer stuff again bless his heart.
========== Build: 111 succeeded, 5 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

But that's not really the subject of this, it seems there has been a decent re-factor of the proxy_balancer stuff, and some new modules.

The new modules are;

mod_authn_socache
mod_reflector
mod_slotmem_plain
mod_slotmem_shm

Starting with  mod_authn_socache, this one is going to affect everyone using mod_authn_dbd which allows you to use a database like MySQL for storing login credentials. By the sound of it, and the problems of having so many lookups flooding the authentication provider with requests for every single graphic, html & stylesheet file on a page, it sounds like a good idea to me! We will just have to find a good timeout value for it, heck, maybe that can become a future thread here.

On to mod_reflector, I haven't got a clue! I'm reading the docs for it but the dots are not connecting in my brain. I'm pretty sure it's Guenter's, care to explain it?  ;)

This leaves us with the slotmem modules, and for now the proxy_balancer stuff. These modules are simply for other modules to utilize and  there is no configuration required for them. What all will become dependent on these modules we will just have to wait and see. As far as I know, currently only mod_proxy_balancer is, but looking at what they do I can see other modules possibly utilizing them.

mario

As far as I understood mod_reflector is that you can create a output filter to the content. Say deflate for text stuff and downsample for images, so that a more compressed content is send to the client to save bandwidth.

I tried the deflate stuff works. But it's a bit wired to me why to put that into an extra module. Maybe it is because you can now use that in directory / location / htaccess content and not global.

You are right the documentation in this point is a bit weak ;)

Gregg

The test tarball came out today. Will be Friday at least before we know if it will be released. I see no reason why it shouldn't.

mod_authn_socache did not make into the Win builds but we will add it anyway, modified so it does not crash if loaded without a configuration. This means it will have to be configured to be able to load it. The minimal config to at least get it loaded is pretty simple;

LoadModule authn_socache_module modules/mod_authn_socache.so
LoadModule socache_dbm_module modules/mod_socache_dbm.so
AuthnCacheSOCache dbm

of course more will be needed to use it.

Even if it's not released we may release it anyway. Our builds are unofficial as stated in two places on this site, and if we do, it will have a -dev tagged onto it.  They are trying for beta, guess we will see by end of this week.

mario

Now there is the beta  :) Haven't tried to compile it yet.

Gregg

mario