MSI installer gone?

Started by ufaforwork, August 17, 2017, 03:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ufaforwork

The MSI installers are no longer available for apache 2.4?

The install.txt file still has reference to them like " The Apache/Win32 binaries are distributed as Windows Installer packages
  (.msi) named httpd-2.4.xx-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi for a version without mod_ssl " but they seem to be deprecated because I can't find any 2.4 MSI installer files anymore for windows.

Can anyone explain and provide links if they are still available? (they are quite useful)

Gregg

Apache.org used to have them for 2.2, never for 2.4. The person that made those installers decided he didn't want to anymore.

The install.txt file was probably just modified from 2.2 to 2.4 when the source was branched off from the development tree. At that time no one knew that there wouldn't be any made. So I guess the install.txt file needs to be changed to not say that.

With Windows Vista, program files became protected and creates problems for Apache.

I used the installers for many years back in the 1.3.x days but haven't used one now for years, it's just too easy without the installer to mess with. Sure you could fill in ServerName and ports up front but with these zip files you just drop the Apache24 folder inside them to the C drive (or D:, E:, etc.), what is so difficult?