Apache 2.3.6-alpha for Windows now availabe

Started by Gregg, June 18, 2010, 02:31:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg

Apache 2.3.6 Alpha is now available for Windows at the Apache Haus. Download today and get a view of what is coming down the road for the Apache HTTP Server. Currently only available in 32 bit, we hope to have 64 bit binaries soon. Grab your copy today from our download page and start playing on the bleeding edge.

DnvrSysEngr

I got Apache 2.3.6 for Windows installed, however, i cannot get Virtual hosts up and working (works fine under my 2.2.15 Apache).  Keeps saying that 'order' is not recognized due to a mistyped command or missing module.  My conf file is correct and all necessary modules are loaded.

Anyone have any ideas what is wrong?

Gregg

Yes, the old "Order Allow,Deny" stuff has been changed and quite honestly I have not figured out the "new & improved" way to do it since it is so improved it's confusing (not to mention no documentation last time I looked).

But, to maintain backwards compatibility this has been moved into a module and the change has been documented at least. If you load module mod_access_compat you will get back this structure of access directives.

DnvrSysEngr

Thank you Gregg.  I wil try it out this evening and see if it works.

- S

DnvrSysEngr

Couple of tweaks to the httpd.conf file beyond what Gregg metnioned (namely a typo by me in my DocumentRoot statement) and 2.3.6 for Windows works perfectly now with Virtual Hosts.

Gregg

Aside from the typo in a DocumentRoot, what other tweaks were necessary? If I feel they are needed/worthy, I will modify the included httpd.conf file to include the tweaks. Unlike 2.2.x where we have a set beginning config setup that will probably never change, 2.3.6 is the Wild West where this is concerned.

Personally, I feel anything labeled "Experimental" is game for anything, and can be changed at any given time. This however does not exist in the "Experimental" IPv6 versions of 2.2.x, they really are not "Experimental" any more since they have been serving up websites for over two years with their modifications, so they are well tested! We're being served this forum on our IPv6 SNI build.  Because the actual Apache source code on them is modified however, we leave the "Experimental" tag on them.

DnvrSysEngr

1.  Had my documentroot folder pointed to a location 2.3.6 did not like (worked fine with 2.2.15)

2.  As I am not using an SSL cert, had to disable SSL and SNI modules

After I got those issues resolved, 2.3.6 is running smooth and error free.