Visual Bloatstudio 2015

Started by Gregg, July 23, 2015, 09:14:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg

It's funny, you do a custom install, uncheck everything and it's still 5GB :o

I wonder what, if anything, you can do with that 5 gig.

mario

What about the generated binaries?

Bigger? Same size? Smaller?

Faster? Same? Slower?

Does the new VC bring anything good with it?

Gregg

Some 3rd party stuff including your favorite ... GitHub
I haven't gotten very far with it yet.

Gregg

Size of generated binaries for OpenSSL 1.0.2d

libeay32.dll x86 in bytes
VC09 1254912
VC11 1252864
VC14 1256448 <- bigger than VC11 by 3584 bytes

libeay32.dll x64 in bytes
VC09 2080256
VC11 1950208
VC14 1947136 <- smaller than VC11 by 3072 bytes

The compiler/linker is about the same as VC11 for speed. As for the binaries, I haven't benchmarked them (and probably won't).

I haven't built Apache yet, have been doing all the dependencies and now it's too hot without A/C to use the desktop. I really need a new laptop cause it's slow with VC9 and would probably be slower than a tortoise with VC11 or 14. It's been on the wish list for some time now but I haven't got the $$$.

Gregg

Gone are the days when you could just include the msvcrXXX.dll in the /bin folder and have a workable piece of software (VC10, 11 & 12). Nope now you must have the redistributable installed.

Not only does it require vcruntime140.dll, but also;
api-ms-win-crt-conio-l1-1-0.dll
api-ms-win-crt-convert-l1-1-0.dll
api-ms-win-crt-environment-l1-1-0.dll
api-ms-win-crt-heap-l1-1-0.dll
api-ms-win-crt-locale-l1-1-0.dll
api-ms-win-crt-math-l1-1-0.dll
api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll
api-ms-win-crt-stdio-l1-1-0.dll
api-ms-win-crt-string-l1-1-0.dll
api-ms-win-crt-time-l1-1-0.dll
api-ms-win-crt-utility-l1-1-0.dll

That's for Apache which is a crt and it still errors on startup with "Application failed to initialize properly" (memories of VC9).

Apachemonitor also requires api-ms-win-crt-multibyte-l1-1-0.dll. It seems to run but there's no icon in the tray.

mario

Quote from: Gregg on July 23, 2015, 11:58:03 AM
Some 3rd party stuff including your favorite ... GitHub
I haven't gotten very far with it yet.

github is nice. The 2013 had git integration, but not directly github.

Quote from: Gregg
Gone are the days when you could just include the msvcrXXX.dll in the /bin folder and have a workable piece of software (VC10, 11 & 12). Nope now you must have the redistributable installed.

that is not so nice, but in production I always had to install it. it is not a big bummer.

Yes you need new hardware  ;) Well my compiler Laptop is now 6 years old. A laptop with SSD would be nice that would speed up compiling a lot.

Gregg

Quote from: mario on July 27, 2015, 10:00:05 AMthat is not so nice, but in production I always had to install it. it is not a big bummer.

It is if you want to make an installer (don't get your hopes up folks) since you have to pile another 13-14 megs to include the entire redistributable. VC10-12 was cool cause you just needed the single file.

Quote from: mario on July 27, 2015, 10:00:05 AMYes you need new hardware  ;) Well my compiler Laptop is now 6 years old. A laptop with SSD would be nice that would speed up compiling a lot.

Mine is at least that old, or close. It came with Vista so that tells you how old it is. SSDs are nice, I could survive with a 250GB one but nothing less. I'd like an Intel i5 too, not so greedy as to want an i7 but at this point I cannot afford anything so I'll take what I can get.