Why I hate php/mysql

Started by Gregg, May 25, 2010, 11:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg

I've tried many times to get this real old community server upgraded and have never been successful.

Trying to upgrade to 5.1.47
stop  Apache, Stop Mysql
copy the entire mysql tree to backup
replace everything BUT data folder with new
start mysql, start Apache

Hit phpmyadmin ... nothing but

Faulting application httpd.exe, version 2.2.15.0, faulting module php5ts.dll, version 5.2.13.13, fault address 0x0000ac6a.

mario

fcgid?  ;)

I think you know how to debug that.

Gregg

Unfortunately, I have more problems with fcgid than anything else. When my fcgid goes down, it takes Apache's parent with it. The child runs and answers all requests till such time as there is a lull in traffic long enough for the timeout to take affect, it kills the child (as it is supposed to) but without the parent, there is nothing to spawn a new child to answer requests so the server is shut down at this point.

I have always had the problem matching php versions connector with a mysql version. With the exception of what I have now, which is so old I do not trust it.

I hate locking data into a database that I then have to be stuck with, why I still to this day use a lot of flat file databases ... anything can read it, no special software required.

mario

I wonder that you have so much problems with fcgid. For Steffen and me it run very smooth. Now with PHP 5.3 there is no more need for a connector. It is native in PHP with mysqlnd. There is no need to link any external libraries. So you don't need the libmysql anymore.

On some projects I still use flat files in CSV style. Very easy to handle and as you said it can be open with any tool. On more complex structures xml files can be a solution as long as there are not tons of data.

Do you have any clue what fcgid kills and the parent process from apache? Any way to reprodice that?

Gregg

Quote from: mario on June 06, 2010, 01:35:20 PMDo you have any clue what fcgid kills and the parent process from apache? Any way to reprodice that?

None, it may be machine specific. I have not spent the time putting everything on another machine and setting it loose to the world to find out.

As far as xml ... 5 times more in file size to do same in delimited files, no thanks, I can live with non-pretty for performance.

mario

It's more than a year ago  :D but did the b version of mod_fcgid solve that problem? I'm just curious what you did.

rnigbs675

Well written, support it
Very good!!!!! Yes!!!!!

Gregg

QuoteWarning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

She-it, more like 4 years just about.

Things have changed in the 5 years since I started this thread. I've warmed up to PHP but it's not my first choice. There are things I really like about it however.  My disdain for MySQL has not changed, I'm still holding fast to that resentment. Not so much cause I cannot upgrade it without loosing everything no, cause this is simply rediculus.

That's pretty insane, even with Firefox's memory leak I've never been able to get it to eat that much memory, and that is at idle doing nothing.

What's 5.7 eating now? 1GB of memory, it's as bad as Windows. In the past Windows always got knocked about because of it's "bloat," now a days everything is so over-bloated I rarely ever hear someone mention bloat.

mario

Well I use firefox as my dev tool at work and it often goes up to 1.2 GB in RAM.  ;) That began after version 35.

Gregg

Nah, I use 31.7 ESR and it began way before this version.

mario

with that version I had like 320 MB constant in the ram and only sometimes 600 MB but never more.

Gregg

Once this FF hits 320MB it's pretty much a brick.

davidsmith150

Well I use safari as my dev tool at work and it often goes up to 1.8 GB in RAM.