Mod_GeoIP

Started by DnvrSysEngr, June 19, 2014, 06:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DnvrSysEngr

Gregg:

While perusing the site for the creators of Mod_GeoIP this evening, I discovered that he latest version of mod_geoip2 is version 1.2.9.

I also learned this about Mod_GeoIP 1.2.9:

Proxy-Related Directives
By default, this module will simply look at the IP address of the client. However, if the client is using a proxy, this will be the address of the proxy. You can use the GeoIPScanProxyHeaders directive to look at proxy-related headers.

Can you or someone here create a Windows compatible module of this?

-S

Gregg

I'll have a look. Each new version seems to take more and more work to get it working on Windows, I never look forward to new versions of this module or the API library it needs and I see new versions of both ;)

Edit:

Yes, same ol' shit, different version.

mod_geoip.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _inet_pton referenced in function __get_ip
_from_xff
mod_geoip.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _strtok_r referenced in function __get_ip_
from_xff
mod_geoip.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _GeoIP_region_by_name referenced in functi
on _geoip_header_parser
mod_geoip.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _GeoIP_country_id_by_addr referenced in fu
nction _geoip_header_parser
mod_geoip.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _GeoIP_id_by_addr_v6 referenced in functio
n _geoip_header_parser
mod_geoip.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _GeoIP_id_by_addr referenced in function _
geoip_header_parser
mod_geoip.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _GeoIP_name_by_addr referenced in function
_geoip_header_parser
GeoIP.lib(GeoIPCity.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __GeoIP_seek_record referenced
in function _GeoIP_record_id_by_addr
GeoIP.lib(GeoIPCity.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __GeoIP_seek_record_v6 referenc
ed in function _GeoIP_record_id_by_addr_v6
Release_x86\mod_geoip.so : fatal error LNK1120: 9 unresolved externals

I'll dig into it in the next few days. I'll have to dig out my source files from 1.2.8 which should help me out quite a bit since much of this I believe is the same crap I had to fix in it.

On the plus side, much of the work always needed in the API library has been done in the master at Github it looks  :)

DnvrSysEngr

Thank you Gregg.  Not expecting to go out of your way for this.

-S

Gregg

release candidates here:
https://www.apachehaus.net/rc/

Please test for a week and let me know how they work.
modules for VC9 Apache 2.2 & 2.4 and VC11 Apache 2.4 x86 & x64 are all in the one zipfile.

DnvrSysEngr

Out of town til the 28th with no Internet access (sending from iPhone).  Will test then.

DnvrSysEngr

Able to get brief Internet access this afternoon and remoted into the WEB server to get Mod_GeoIP 1.2.9 RC installed.  So far so good.  Will do more testing when time and access permits.

DnvrSysEngr

Gregg:

I am happy to report that no issues have appeared and mod_GeoIP is working as I need it to (block all the annoying visitor from places i do not want visiting my sites).

-S

Gregg

Great, I'll update the download page with them in a day or two.

Thanks for testing them out.

DnvrSysEngr

Gregg:

Upon updating my Apache server this evening from 2.4.10 to 2.4.12, I decided it might be a good idea to update modules, etc.  Upon updating my GeoIP database, I discovered that mod_geoIP has now been replaced by mod_maxminddb. 

New Apache Module Available: This module is for the GeoIP Legacy format (dat). To read the MaxMind DB format (mmdb) used by GeoIP2, please see mod_maxminddb

Is there a way you could find time and a way to compile this for us running on the Windows platform (32 and 64-bit)?

Thank you.

-Scott

Gregg

Hi Scott,

I'll have a look into it.

Gregg

Sorry but very doubtful.

After awhile the compiler refuses to list any more errors, this hit that limit.

I must admit that I have soured on maxmind over the last couple releases of the old API and module since I kept having to make it work. Patching would be nice but they often fail on the very next version cause of restructuring and I end up doing it by hand.

As long as the old one works, and I can get new databases, I'll stick with it because I myself use mod_geoip. Maybe after awhile they'll un#$%! this new stuff.

DnvrSysEngr

Thank you for giving it a go.  I am not a programmer / coder, so I often have to ask others for their expertise.  I guess it is like the old adage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."